DIY Laundry Detergent
I’m so in love with this DIY Laundry Detergent! It’s inexpensive ($31.74) to make and it’s non-toxic, safe for HE washing machines and it’s great for sensitive skin. This large batch lasts my family just about a year! It smells amazing and our clothes are incredibly clean!
- 1 (4lb 12oz) Borax
- 1 (3lb 7oz) Arm and Hammer Super washing soda
- 1 (5lb) OxiClean
- 1 (4lb) Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
- 2 (5oz) Dr. Bronners Soap (I like lavender or rose)
- 20 drops of Lavender Oil or Geranium or your favorite essential oil( I add the drops once the mixture is in a smaller glass jar) (**optional – the detergent already smells amazing)
- 1 Large container – I use this one
- 1 Glass Jar – I use this one
- Old spoon for mixing – I use this one
- Grater – I use this one
Start by pouring the baking soda, washing soda, borax, and oxi in a large container. Mix after each product, it will be easier to make sure it is mixed thoroughly. Then shred the Dr. Bronners Soap using a grater. Once both bars are grated, mix all the ingredients until everything is mixed really well. Pour into a smaller glass container to keep on your washing machine and only use 1 to 2 tablespoons of laundry detergent for each load! Then store the remaining detergent and refill as needed. This mixture should last you a year!
And the kids can help make it!
The break down:
- 1 box Baking Soda – $3.19
- 1 box Washing Soda – $3.99
- 1 box Borax – $4.69
- 2 Dr. Bronner’s Bars of soap – $4.49 + 4.49 = $9.38
- 5lb Oxi Clean – $10.89
Total = $31.74 – this, of course, will vary based on your area.
$31.74 divided by 12 months = $2.64 a month!
Before making my own laundry detergent – I used to spend around $30-$50 a month on all natural laundry detergent, OxiClean and an all natural stain remover! We are easily saving over $300-$400 a year on laundry detergent! I haven’t had to buy any stain remover at all since I started making it! This detergent just works!
Does your batch last the full year? I’d love to know in the comments below!