I can sit here and tell you that I hate when he travels because I miss him so much or that he is missing out on spending time with our kids or even me. I could tell you that I miss him holding me at night or that I miss the kiss that he gives me first thing in the morning. I could tell you that I miss our conversations at dinner as a family or that I end up worrying about him while he is gone. Or perhaps it’s because I’m exhausted from having to take care of the kids or the dogs or cats by myself. Maybe it’s because we have our routines in place and when he travels things are completely disrupted and upside-down. What if it’s because I miss his laugh, his smile, or him tapping his toothbrush 3 times before he puts it on the charger at night.
All of that’s true. But the main reason…
Why I hate When My Husband Travels For Work
Is because… SOMETHING BAD ALWAYS HAPPENS! It all started with the very first time he traveled and we have been simply cursed ever since! I SWEAR! Seriously, I can count on one hand how many times nothing bad happened while he was traveling.
This is what has happened so far!
- Our daughter got her first stomach bug
- Our daughter’s cat got sick and had to be put down
- The guinea pigs started having seizures and needed to be medicated
- Our son decided he couldn’t handle my breast milk (Because of my consumption of dairy/soy) and was puking and screaming all night – all week!
- Our neighbor’s husband died in the middle of the night and our daughter was looking out the window and saw his body being removed (screaming nightmares for the week)
- The toilet overflowed in our old house and it was raining water all over the living/dining room
- There was a gas leak in our fireplace (luckily that was a day trip and he was home to help)
- The kids always end up getting sick
- Then I end up sick
- Our horse Buzz was injured and needed emergency vet care and needed X-rays
- Our horse Eva was not even 2 years old and was rushed to the clinic (we thought she had strangles)
- Our horse Big was kicked in the hock when it was 20 below outside and needed emergency vet care. He needed something like 10-20 staples and 4 weeks of stall rest.
- My dad was hospitalized
There’s more but I can’t even think of them right now. Believe me! There’s a ton!
The worst thing that ever happened while my husband was traveling for work.
My mother died.
She died early on a Monday morning the day after he left for his trip. I was alone. I had to plan my mother’s funeral without my husband being there for me. I didn’t even tell him that she died, I waited for a few days. It was hard enough knowing that there was nothing he could do being so far away. It was even harder keeping it from him. Pretending that everything was okay.
So now, every time he tells me that he has to travel – I get this monster pit in my stomach. I’m consumed with worry and I can’t help but think.
WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN THIS TIME!?!?!
Has anything bad every happened to you when your spouse traveled for work? Here’s how I survive while he is traveling.